I’m sure we’ve all heard that dogs and chocolate are not a good mix. This is true, but why?
Chocolate is made from Cocoa beans, which contain both caffeine and Theobromine, which offer a real danger to our furry friends. Theobromine is metabolized more slowly in canines. In humans, the effects are gone in about 20 – 40 minutes. In dogs, the effects are still in the system after 17 hours. Actually, dark chocolate and baker’s chocolate are the worst. Milk chocolate and white chocolate, although still not recommended, present less risk.
Small amounts can produce vomiting and diarrhea. Larger amounts can result in hyperactivity, tremors, high blood pressure, rapid heart rate, seizures, respiratory failure and even cardiac arrest.
If you suspect your pup has gotten into your hidden stash, I would recommend a trip to the vets. This is not something that can easily or harmlessly pass.
Several dog bakeries are available now, which offer safe and healthy treats for your pup.